Elgin Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme (CARS) – Financial Assistance to restore & enhance the build heritage of Elgin High Street Conservation Area
Elgin BID is a key stakeholder in CARS. Through this programme and partnership funding, Elgin City Centre was awarded a grant of £750,000 from Historic Scotland in April 2013. This contributed to a larger funding pot of £3.3 million to conserve and enhance the historic city centre, the project runs until March 2018. This huge financial investment has already and continues to result in positive changes to the City Centre. Eligible work includes:
•Traditional shopfront repairs & improvements
•Sash & case windows
•Cast iron rainwater goods
•Stonework repairs, repointing & traditional renders
•Doors & external joinery
•Re-roofing in traditional materials
Eligible Businesses can apply for grants of up to 50% of the cost of any of these improvements
It also supports improvements to:
• Redevelopment of the Medieval Lanes,
•Skills development and public realm improvements including City Centre lighting.
Safety and Security
Online Retail Crime and Pub Partnership
Our online retail crime & pub partnership website is an information sharing service provided free of charge to any BID member. Working closely with Police Scotland, our business members can keep abreast of intelligence about criminal activity or crime prevention.
By utilising this service and/or attending the partnership Retail Crime meetings which take place once a month, businesses will be provided with a valuable source of information to help prevent crime within our town.
Elgin BID carry out a number of events throughout the year. Complimentary Market Stalls are available for any of our business members to sell, promote or fundraise. The increased footfall within the city centre also provides a platform for businesses to capitalise.
We know that it is not always practical for some businesses to take a market stall, but that doesn’t have to stop you joining in. Here are a few ideas on how to do that:-
- Put on a Special Event Day Promotion we will publicise this for you in the lead up to the event
- Place a Treasure Hunt poster in your window the clues take people around the city as they follow the Treasure Hunt Trail, bringing footfall directly to your business.
- Hold Treasure Hunt prizes people who successfully complete the Treasure Hunt will be given a winner’s ticket and directed to a business to collect their instant prize, this will bring people into your premises!
- Take a FREE market stall to sell, promote, fundraise or recruit volunteers. The stall will be assembled for you arriving and dismantled for you at the end of the day, you simply have to agree to stay for the duration of the event.
- Shop Window Competition Help brighten up the CIty Centre at key times of the year by entering our shop window competition for Easter, Hallowe’en and Christmas.
Since the Events Programme started we have seen a steady increase in the number of businesses taking part and we hope this year will continue that trend.
Embrace Elgin 2017 Events
Easter Family Fun Day 15th April
Scottish Theme Day 29th April
Food & Drink Festival 19th August
Halloween Family Fun Day 28th October
Christmas Light Switch On 25th November
Please contact Sine telling her which event you wish to get involved in and what you’d like to do.
We have a large following on Facebook and Twitter, any of our business members are free to use this as a tool to promote their services or offers. Simply contact Sine to discuss your message and she’ll do the rest for you!
Social Media Training
Are you new to the world of Facebook? Do you want to use your twitter account more effectively? We offer one-to-one training sessions, tailored to your individual business in a relaxed setting. Contact us to book in a time
The Moray Business Gateway Team are located in Elgin High Street and can offer a wealth of advice on business start-up, business development, business finance and business expansion.